Written By Tony Houle, Head of Admissions and Strategic Imperatives
You are probably looking at multiple schools as you consider which school will be the best fit for your family. Most every school will offer multiple admissions events — weekend events, morning events, evening events, tours, open houses, and the list goes on. So, how do you decide which admissions events to attend at which schools in the limited time your family has available?
At Duchesne, our admissions events each have a specific purpose. We offer Duchesne-in-Action campus tours on weekday mornings so that you can get a glimpse of what life looks like during the school day. Our fall open houses give you a chance to ask questions, meet some of our faculty, parents, students, and administrators. Our January Discover Duchesne event is designed for you to sit in a classroom as our faculty lead engaging sample lessons. Every event is so different and there are benefits to each. But, if you must only choose a single event to attend at Duchesne, there are some great reasons to attend one of our Open Houses:
1. Meet the people who make Duchesne special: You will have an opportunity to chat with the Head of School and the Division Heads. There will be Duchesne parents and students available to answer those questions that you just don’t want to ask the school administrators. And our faculty will be on hand to give you a chance to see for yourself what makes our teachers so great.
2. Explore campus at your own pace: During Open House, you'll get to see the campus without having to navigate around the hustle and bustle of 700 students. We have a beautiful, serene campus in the heart of Houston’s Memorial neighborhood. Open House affords you a chance to view it all at your pace, to take it in, and to picture yourself and your family here. (But we also highly recommend coming for a weekday tour so you can get see the action and energy of those 700 students!)
3. Get answers to your questions: During Open House, you have a chance to ask the questions that will help you decide if Duchesne is the right fit for your family. It is also a time for us to get to know your family a little better. Since Open House is a more intimate event than a tour, it helps you to get to know the school, and for us to get to know about your hopes for a school.
4. Meet your future parent community: We have 2 open houses in the fall: Lower and Middle School Open House on Sunday, October 27 at 2 p.m. and Upper School Open House on Thursday, November 7 at 6 p.m. A big reason for structuring them in this way is for you to meet some of your possible peer families. Finding the right school for your family is often about who the other families are in the community. Particularly at the lower grade levels, the family of your daughter’s friends will become your friends. Community is important to us and we like to begin building it right from the start.
5. Find out why we're different from everyone else: As an all-girls school, we are different. However, we are also different than every other Houston-area school in many other ways. Attend Open House to learn about our 8-day schedule in the Lower School or Mod Schedule in the Middle and Upper School. Find out what congé or goûter mean. See our new sports complex or our very popular coffee shop, Cha Cha’s Corner. We put the girls – their health, their needs, and their education – first. Come see how we do it!
Feel free to reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about admissions, and register to attend one of our upcoming events at duchesne.org/visit.